TDD for Embedded C/C++
2022-01-20 23:51:56 UTC
Most useful learnings:
- Practice the TDD cycle in hands-on exercises
- How to not overuse mocks.
- Different testing strategies
- Refactoring strategies
- How to test legacy code
Concepts v exercises:
Presentation v discussion:
- Present the goal, rules, round table, etc at the beginning?
- The presentations were hard to follow. They didn't feel well structured. It would help a lot to have chapters: here's what were goin to do and why, theory, example, example, recap of the learnings, then on to next chapter.
- The live demonstrations were too long. I would forget what/why were were doing before the end...
- I know it's hard when online, but maybe encourage more participation from the participants?
- The online compiler doesn't allow debug. It makes it hard to figure out why our code isn't working sometimes.
- The revert function of the online compiler didn't seem to work.
Thank you so much for sharing this knowledge with the world!
Bring it on!
I actually am! Just as the class finished, I was tasked with unit testing changes to legacy code. Within 1h, I had the environment setup and running an empty test.
Challenges to applying:
Take the time to change our way of working: setup tools, get familiar with them, etc.
You adapted very well to delivering the course online! The offline videos and links were really insightful. I liked gatherTown. The online compiler was neat, but not perfect.
Legacy code workshop:
Recommend to others: